Can You Deduct A Work-Related Education Costs?

Can you deduct a work-related education costs?
I got this question from one of my clients. So as an accountant, I will answer you with my favorite words: “It depends.”

Hello, this is Noel Dalmacio, your ultimate CPA at lowermytaxnow.

So, are you planning to go back to school to get an advanced degree or just to brush up on your work skills? The answer to those questions, will determine if you might be able to deduct what you pay for tuition, books, and other supplies.

So if you’re self-employed or an employee, you may be able to claim a deduction if the training is necessary to maintain your skills or is required by your employer.

However, just remember that even when the education meets those two tests, if you’re qualified to work in a new trade or business when you’ve completed the course, your expenses are personal and nondeductible. That’s true even if you do not get a job in the new trade or business.

Work-related education expenses are an itemized deduction when you’re an employee and a business expense when you’re self-employed. You may also be eligible for other tax benefits, such as the lifetime learning credit.

So next time you plan on going back to school, just make sure you understand issues re: work-related education.

If you like to learn more, click the link and sign-in to receive my weekly blog.

Until then, this is Noel Dalmacio, your ultimate CPA at

Site Navigation


Noel Dalmacio, CPA, CFP, MS TAX
30 Corporate Park, Suite 102.
Irvine, CA 92606

Follow Us On

© Copyright 2012 Lower My Tax Now. All Rights Reserved